Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• The Stinging Attack

The Stinging Attack

Having strange dreams is a common occurrence for me. One night, I was being attacked by bees. As I pondered this weird dream, I realized that what happened in my dream relates to how sin affects our lives.

First, I couldn’t seem to get away from the bees. When I have given in to sin, it follows me, just like the bees in my dream. I can’t seem to escape the guilt for doing wrong. That guilty conscience is with me, whether I am sleeping, working, eating, reading, or trying to have some recreational time. Numbers 32:23 tells us to be sure that our sin will find us. It doesn’t matter what activities I try to hide behind, if I have unconfessed sin, it is going to find me. The only way to escape it is to repent and have my heart sprinkled to cleanse me from that guilty conscience. (Hebrews 10:22)

In my dream, I would try to run into a building, quickly closing the door behind me, so that I could escape the attack of the bees. Yet, they seemed to always find an opening. Sin does the same thing. It gives an opening in our lives to the enemy. (Ephesians 4:27) We need to understand that when we play with sin, there is no fortress that is strong enough for us. For sin will destroy us from the inside out. (Psalm 32:3)

At one point, hundreds of bees attached themselves around my hand, stinging me repeatedly. The pain was so intense that my knees buckled. When we refuse to give up our sin, we will face intense stinging and anguish in our soul. (Psalm 37:7,10)

I couldn’t rest when I was being attacked by the bees. When we hold on to our sin, it will keep us from resting in the shelter of our God’s presence. (Psalm 31:20) It is only when we dwell in the shelter of the Most High that we can rest in Him. (Psalm 91:1)

All around me, there were joyful people who were enjoying food and fellowship with one another. Yet, I had no joy because I was being pursued by the bees. When sin has gotten hold of us and continues to chase us, it is hard for us to have a joyful heart because we are literally in a foreign land. (Psalm 137:4) Since we became a new creation when we got saved, whenever we fall back into sin, it is like returning to a foreign land.

When you have found yourself trapped in a cycle of sin, the answer is in confessing your sins. For when we confess them and renounce them, we find mercy. Not only will God take away our sin, but He also takes away the guilt. He is the perfect ointment for the sting of sin.

© 2006 (Printed with permission by the author - me)
    Even so, Come Lord Jesus,
    Renee M

Luke 21:36 "Watch ye therefore, and pray always, that ye may be accounted worthy to escape all these things that shall come to pass, and to stand before the Son of man."

We will either dwell in the secret place of the Most High or our flesh will make us want to hide things in secret. -- Nathan Leal
Working...
X