Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Training

Training

Olympians immerse themselves in training. They make sure their diet is the proper one to enhance their training and performance. They never depend on someone else to do the training for them. They are faithful to train every day. They also know there must be sacrifices made to reach their goal.

1 Timothy 4:7 tells us to train ourselves to be godly. If we look at what Olympians do for temporary prize, we gain insights into how we need to train ourselves for an eternal reward.

1. We must have a proper diet. This means we get daily bread (reading our bibles.) We need to move from just getting the milk of the Word to the meat of the Word.

2. Training is repetitive. This could be likened to memorizing bible verses so the Word is hidden in our hearts.

3. We must not depend on someone else to feed us. Too many professing Christians are satisfied to just attend church, never picking up their bibles the rest of the week. Imagine if an Olympian decided they were only going to eat once a week, or train just one time a week. They wouldn’t get far in their goal to win a medal.

4. We must be prepared to sacrifice if we want to grow strong in our spiritual walk. We can’t spend hours watching television or looking at social media. Those things will drain us.

5. We must change our routine. There are times when an Olympian needs to change their routine and the same is true for us. What worked a year ago may not be what we need now. I remember when I was a new mother. I was exhausted and overwhelmed with the enormous changes. I didn’t have a lot of time or energy to spend reading the Word. Instead, I started to read one Proverb a day, looking for what ‘spoke’ to me. Sometimes I wouldn’t even get through the entire chapter. I would write down that verse and meditate on it all day.

That method won’t work for me now. I want more. I need more. I crave more because I have tasted and seen the Lord is good. I know that in these times of such deception, it is imperative for me to keep myself grounded in His Word so that I can safely navigate through this life.

What changes do you need to make to train yourself to be godly?

© 2018, posted with permission by me, the author

Luke 21:36 "Watch ye therefore, and pray always, that ye may be accounted worthy to escape all these things that shall come to pass, and to stand before the Son of man."

We will either dwell in the secret place of the Most High or our flesh will make us want to hide things in secret. -- Nathan Leal

Well said. We all need to be grounded in the Word of God.
    The Sweet Psalmist

https://watchmanscry.vbulletin.net/f...sweet-psalmist

Comment

Working...
    X