Unblblical worship songs

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Unblblical worship songs

I was really looking forward to going to church this morning. However, once "worship" started, I was so disappointed. They sang the song "Reckless love." That song irritates me because God's love is not reckless. It is focused, detailed, sacrificial, amazing, priceless, precious. Reckless -- NEVER. Then we sang a song with a chorus of "Wrap me in your arms." The lyrics mentioned something about wrap me in your arms for that is where I am changed. Nope. I am changed when I am diligent to be in God's Word, letting myself be washed by the water of the Word. I am not changed by singing a "love song" to my Heavenly Father about being in His arms. The music is always loud in the sanctuary, but when coupled with lyrics that aren't biblical, it becomes nothing more than really annoying noise. It was all I could do to even stay in there. Everything in my spirit was irritated by what was taking place.

Thankfully, the message was MUCH better, and a great reminder to all of us of the true reason for the Christmas season. Focus on the Baby. When you need peace, you can find it in Him.
    Luke 21:36 "Watch ye therefore, and pray always, that ye may be accounted worthy to escape all these things that shall come to pass, and to stand before the Son of man."

We will either dwell in the secret place of the Most High or our flesh will make us want to hide things in secret. -- Nathan Leal

I have noticed that too with songs on the local Christian radio station. One that bothers me says something about God's love being like a tidal wave and a hurricane. Destructive? IDK. I turn those songs off when they come. Seems like i spend more time with my radio off in the car then on

Comment

Originally posted by Kelly View Post
      I have noticed that too with songs on the local Christian radio station. One that bothers me says something about God's love being like a tidal wave and a hurricane. Destructive? IDK. I turn those songs off when they come. Seems like i spend more time with my radio off in the car then on
      Good point, Kelly. I hardly ever have the radio on in the car, due to the lack of true Christian music. I prefer peace -- it's priceless.
      Luke 21:36 "Watch ye therefore, and pray always, that ye may be accounted worthy to escape all these things that shall come to pass, and to stand before the Son of man."

We will either dwell in the secret place of the Most High or our flesh will make us want to hide things in secret. -- Nathan Leal

Comment

Renne, I too have struggled with the current state of Christian music. I find a lot of the songs unbiblical and self-centered which really turn me off. However, I would like to share a comment my pastor made recently. He was sharing a rebuke he received from his father many years ago and the story goes (from my pastor's perspective) "I was sitting in church one day just disgusted with many aspects of the worship when suddenly I look over and see my dad singing and worshiping with great enthusiasm. Afterwards, I asked him how he could possibly worship like that when the music choices are so terrible, etc. He responded, if I don't worship this way when my musical preferences aren't being met, how will I worship like Paul and Silas when I'm being persecuted and beaten?"

Comment

• Renee M
          Renee M commented
          Editing a comment
          That is so insightful! What a brilliant insight he had into it!

Pete...Brother, that's heavy and an excellent point.
        Mark 13: 22 "For false Christs and false prophets shall rise, and shall shew signs and wonders, to seduce, if it were possible, even the elect."

Comment

Not intending to say that there is anything wrong with your original post, because I certainly agree with much of what you said. But also have felt convicted about my worship so I wanted to share that in hopes to encourage others.

Comment

Originally posted by Pete View Post
            Not intending to say that there is anything wrong with your original post, because I certainly agree with much of what you said. But also have felt convicted about my worship so I wanted to share that in hopes to encourage others.
            Thanks. Being a teacher of the Word, I tend to see things in black and white, which may be part of the reason I get so grieved when I see these unbiblical lyrics. Not to mention that my heart aches because I see the church being led into deception through them. However, what you shared may help me reach beyond and offer a sacrifice of praise in spite of the darkness of those words. If I can learn to do that, it will help in the dark days ahead when the persecution gets stronger. Thanks again for sharing your thoughts. I do appreciate them.

Comment

Working...
            X