Beth Moore

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Beth Moore

I mentioned in the thread "Where is everyone?" that the Lord has been leading me in a different direction. I thought some of you might like to see what I've been doing recently. Our women's bible study is doing the Beth Moore study Believing God. I already knew she was a false teacher, but felt I had a responsibility to get the books, go through them, and find what contradicts scripture so I could point it out to the ladies. (Most hold BM in very high regard and aren't biblically literate to catch the errors.) After spending a 4-year period of reading nothing but the Word, I find it much easier to spot the errors. So if you are one who likes to read many of the popular "Christian" authors, I would like to encourage you to search it out -- be so familiar with your bible, that you can spot the errors and not be lead astray.

Believing God

I used to be one of those people who read everything Beth Moore put out. I loved her studies. However, at that time, I was one of those who was rather biblically illiterate. Though I did read my bible, I really didn't know how to rightly divide the Word. I also just took her words as "gospel," without doing like the Bereans and searching to make sure that what she said was really truth.

I began to hear things about certain, very popular teachers and preachers and how they were preaching false doctrine. I was very disturbed to find Beth Moore's name among the many who were being mentioned. However, I decided to search it out. I was shocked to find that there were truly many scriptural errors in her teachings. There are many things in the book with which I disagree, but I am going to address the three that I found to be the most serious contradictions to what the Word says. I am not doing this out of spite, or to speak ill of the women's bible study. I am doing this because of my passion for a biblically illiterate church to not be deceived by false teachers who are so sneaky and deceptive, making merchandise of the church for their own selfish gain. I feel I have a biblical responsibility to speak out when I see error being taught.

Her 5-statement pledge of faith:
    1. God is who He says He is.
    2. God can do what He says He can do.
    3. I am who God says I am.
    4. I can do all things through Christ.
    5. God’s Word is alive and active in me.

I have problems with this for several reasons. We can’t know who God says He is unless we are in the Word. We can’t know what God says He can do unless we are in the Word. We can’t know who God says we are unless we are in the Word. His Word isn’t alive and active in us unless we are in the Word. Her 5 statements sound like a mantra, a name-it-claim it theology, or a magic incantation – like if I say it enough, it will happen on its own. This is not biblical!

While she does have one statement that is a bible verse, it gives the idea that we can do all things through Christ. However, if we aren’t in the Word, we don’t know what “all things” are. We may think that we can commit adultery because it just feels “right” in our heart, and after all, the Word says we can do all things through Christ.

The 5-statement pledge of faith isn’t the only the thing I found that reeked with a New Age feel to it.

Page 141 of the hardback book: “We read or hear God’s Word. We choose to receive it, thereby inhaling it like a fresh breath of faith. We speak it aloud at opportune times, even just to ourselves, thereby exhaling that spirit of faith over our very circumstances. Making a reasonable and livable lifestyle of believing and speaking God’s Word is like living on the CPR of the Holy Spirit.” She then adds, “Don’t try to make something mystical out of it.” Yet, she has done that very thing with her New Age phrases.

Her many “I feel,” “I think,” I believe” statements:
    1. I think – 8 times
    2. I feel – 3 times
    3. I believe – 10 times
    4. I’m convinced – 7 times
    5. I’d like to suggest – 8 times
    6. In my opinion – 1
    7. Is it possible – 1
    8. I’m not sure exactly – 1
    This is very dangerous for a “Bible teacher” to interject what they think, feel, believe, when it is not firmly back up correctly with scripture. In a church of lazy, biblically illiterate people, they will take the author’s word as “gospel,” never matching his/her words against scripture.
    Scriptural errors:
    (All of the references I give here are from the hardback copy of the book, unless otherwise noted.)
    1. Page 4: “Blessing is bowing down to receive the expressions of divine favor that in the inner recesses of the human heart and mind make life worth the bother.” – This sounds like a bunch of New Age stuff. Blessing doesn’t bow down. WE bow down….to God. Blessing and divine favor aren’t what make life worth the bother – JESUS is what makes life worth the “bother.” And I find her choice of wording (bother) very odd when we are told that Jesus came to give us life and life abundantly.
    2. Page 9: “Promised Land theology becomes an earthbound reality only to those who cash in their fear and complacency for the one ticket out of their long-inhabited wilderness.” -- This sounds like Name it-claim it, Prosperity Gospel message.
    3. Page 16: “I believe scripture will reveal to us through our journey that nothing is more important to God than our faith. Yes, love is His greatest commandment, but any of us who have accepted the mammoth challenge of biblical love in difficult circumstances can testify how much faith was required for obedience.” -- Here she uses “I believe” phrase again, then says nothing is more important to God than our faith. However, scripture says we are to love the Lord God with all our heart, soul, mind, and strength.
    4. Page 43: She lists her 5 statements again, then says, “These five statements become a shield of faith to those who will allow them to penetrate the marrow of their belief system.” Not only is this very arrogant of her, it is not scriptural. Ephesians 6 speaks of the armor of GOD. Nowhere in scripture does it tell us that someone else will make a shield of faith for us. Personally, I find this statement heretical.
    5. Page 51 of the workbook: When the Son of Man comes, will He find faith on earth? “If the answer to that question is going to be yes, the people of God must start believing their God.” -- James 2:19 tells us the demons believe and tremble. It is more than just saying you believe. James 2:24 tells us that a man is justified by works, not just by faith (believing) alone. You must be in the Word so you know what to believe.
    6. Page 147: She speaks of Matthew 17:20 where it says nothing shall be impossible for you. She goes on to push the idea of speaking to our mountains, to have faith and “say to this mountain.” “In other words, I think (my emphasis) we could say that Christ taught His disciples to “believe and therefore speak.” -- However, she doesn’t rightly divide the Word here because the very next verse after Matthew 17:20 says that this kind doesn’t happen except through prayer and fasting. Yet, she leaves that important verse out. In my research, I have discovered that she does this quite often in her books, not using the scripture in its entire context, and that is dangerous.
    7. Page 234: "This is something you can take to the spiritual bank. Life is not fair. And there is someone to blame: Jesus Christ. "From the fullness of his grace we have all received one blessing after another." John 1:16 And wouldn't I be stupid to miss that?"

First, it is not the fault of our Savior that life is not fair.
    Secondly, what does the verse she quoted have to do with life not being fair?
    Third, her question makes absolutely no sense to what she was saying.
    Fourth, she states at the beginning of her book that unless otherwise noted, scripture used is NIV. So I looked up NIV for the verse she quoted above. Here is what the NIV says: John 1:16 New International Version (NIV) 16 Out of his fullness we have all received grace in place of grace already given. So she is misquoting the verse.

After pondering a bit more on that paragraph, it occurred to me that perhaps she was trying to state that we can “blame Jesus” because he brings one blessing after another, even when we don’t deserve it. However, again, she misquoted the verse, and used in the context of how she is saying it, it comes across as a prosperity gospel message. The Word tells us that it rains on the just and the unjust. Life isn’t always filled with one blessing after another. In the context of what the verse really says, we have received grace upon grace already given. Grace given = Jesus died for us. The extra grace we are given can vary from person to person, and we can receive that grace even when going through trials. When she speaks of it as blessing upon blessing, it gives the implication that life will be good all the time.

She makes an interesting statement on page 2 of the book: “Our status-quo system of contemporary Christianity isn’t working, and I’m bucking it.” I believe this is a very accurate statement, in that, she is indeed “bucking it” and she is doing so by teaching a different gospel. Of which, Paul said to let them be accursed. While a lot of what she says is biblical, there is much that does not line up with biblical truth. For a church that is mostly illiterate where scripture is concerned, it makes me think of someone pouring one drop of poison in a glass of water – that tiny drop of poison ruins the entire glass of water, regardless of how pure the water was before the poison was added. People who do not know how to rightly divide the Word of truth become easy targets of false teachers.

We are in critical times, and just because someone is very popular in "Christian" circles doesn't mean they are truly teaching biblical truth.

2 John 10 gives a very stern warning about false teachers. “If anyone comes to you and does not bring this doctrine, do not receive him into your house nor greet him; for he who greets him shares in his evil deeds.”

Because scripture makes it clear that a little leaven leavens the whole lump, I will therefore be refraining from attending anymore classes with Beth Moore’s teachings.

Luke 21:36 "Watch ye therefore, and pray always, that ye may be accounted worthy to escape all these things that shall come to pass, and to stand before the Son of man."

We will either dwell in the secret place of the Most High or our flesh will make us want to hide things in secret. -- Nathan Leal

Believing God, part 2
    Unless otherwise noted, references are to the hardback copy of Believing God.
    1. Prosperity gospel
    The prosperity gospel is a false gospel. If what you are preaching cannot be preached in third world countries, then you are likely preaching a false gospel.
    • Page 5/6 She says that God has promised us a place of blessing and that He has promised us a place we could live, and a place where He brings great harvest. This sounds a lot like the Name-it-claim it, prosperity message. In 3 John 2, he prays that they would prosper, even as their soul prospers. That puts our spiritual condition first, not our comfort and blessing.
    • Page 11 – She uses a term called “Promised Land theology.” Again, this reeks of the prosperity gospel.
    1. Her arrogance and pride
    • Page 27: She talks about Eve dropping her shield of faith. She says, “When she (Eve) fell, she fell hard. I know the feeling.” To equate our falling to Eve, who lived in a perfect world, is very audacious. We don’t have a clue what Eve felt, after having walked in absolute perfection, to be duped by Satan, and now to enter the land where sin has entered.
    • Page 28/29: “I’m asking you to consider making a commitment to three specific faith practices I’ll share with you through the remainder of this chapter. Together they enhance an environment in and around you that invites the pleasure and power of God.” What she is stating is that her teaching is going to invite the pleasure and power of God. How arrogant!
    • Page 32: “…if you want to experience a supernatural surge of God’s Spirit, you ought to try proclaiming the five-statement pledge of faith with a few thousand others!” She is saying that reciting her own statement brings a supernatural surge of God’s Spirit. That is so arrogant! She is getting too big for her britches!
    • Page 85: She is referring to God is who He says He is, and God can do what He says He can do. “I pray these two statements are being ingrained deeper and deeper within our belief systems…May He invade even our subconscious with His Word.” By mentioning her own 2 statements, then saying, “May He invade our subconscious with His Word, it sounds like she is equating her own words with being the Word of God.
    1. Scriptural errors
    • Page 31: She is speaking again of her 5 statement pledge of faith. “If I’m in need of a miracle, he (Satan) might tempt me to believe God no longer performs wonders. I quickly go through my mental list of faith statements and call out number 2: “God can do what He says He can do!” When tempted, Jesus didn’t quote a mantra written by someone else. He spoke the Word of God -- “IT IS WRITTEN!”
    • Page 33: “Commit to say, write, or think your five-statement pledge of faith repeatedly over the time frame you choose with God. This is not scriptural! Psalm 1 tells us to meditate upon the Word of God. In Psalm 119:11, we are told to hide God’s Word in our hearts.
    • Page 135: “God’s words are omnipotent.” I’ve often heard that God is omnipotent. However, if we say His words are omnipotent, we give the impression that an unread bible is powerful. However, there is no power in a bible if it is not read and applied in our lives.
    • Page 234: “God’s Word tells us to whom much is given, much is required, Luke 12:48, but I am also convinced that to whom much is required, much is surely given.” She gives no scripture to back up her claim.
    Luke 21:36 "Watch ye therefore, and pray always, that ye may be accounted worthy to escape all these things that shall come to pass, and to stand before the Son of man."

We will either dwell in the secret place of the Most High or our flesh will make us want to hide things in secret. -- Nathan Leal

Comment

Believing God workbook

Today I am sharing errors I found in Beth Moore's workbook for the Believing God class. While the workbook has many of the same errors in it that the hard cover book does, it also has some addition information that I found disturbing.
      1. Page 9: On the very first page of the lessons, she is pushing her 5-pledge statement of faith. (I mentioned that in previous posts.) I only mention it again here because I want to point out that these 5 statements were made up by her. She pushes them like they are an anointed incantation. However, Psalm 138:2 tells us that God has magnified HIS WORD above all else. If I'm going to quote something over and over, it will be God's Word, not something created by Beth Moore or anyone else. What she is asking us to do is not scriptural.

2. Page 94: "The New Testament tells us that before the end of times the church will be purified, united, fortified, and anointed to prophesy." In my studies of the NT, I have found that many will fall away, brethren will betray one other, the love of many will wax cold, there will be many who follow after false teachers, and many will say, "Lord, Lord," on that day, but Jesus will say, "Depart from me. I never knew you." The fact that they are calling Him "Lord" tells me that these are people who were in the church, yet they never really knew Him. Instead, they had a form of godliness, but denied the power thereof. (Matthew 24:10-12; Matthew 7:22; 2 Timothy 3:5; 2 Timothy 4:3)

Now some may think she is correct in her statement because of what Joel 2:28-29 says about God pouring His Spirit out in the latter days and how sons and daughters will prophecy. However, this scripture was fulfilled in Acts 2:14-21. It will continue to be fulfilled until Jesus returns. In Joel 2:30-32, that prophecy goes on to include more that is yet to be fulfilled in the future – when the sun is turned into darkness and the moon into blood. This part of the prophecy is referring to when the tribulation ends and the wrath of God begins. (Matthew 24:29; Revelation 6:12)

There are several prophecies in the Old Testament that have been partially fulfilled, with more to be fulfilled later. Another example of this is from Isaiah 61:1-2. Jesus quoted part of this in Luke 4:16-19 because He was fulfilling that scripture right then. However, He did not quote the latter part of Isaiah 61:2 because that is speaking of the wrath of God, which is yet to be fulfilled.
      1. Page 111: In speaking of the story of Rahab, Beth starts speaking of the romantic side of God and referring to His "Prince Charming side." God is not my boyfriend! And Rahab was a whore! There is nothing romantic about it! Now some may disagree with me in my thoughts on this, but even Song of Solomon doesn't romanticize our relationship with the Father. It is an image in written form of how passionately God loves us. It shows us as the precious bride of Christ, in a language we can understand, but it is in no way relating to Him as our boyfriend.

4. Page 115: She begins to teach on the spoken word and the power it carries. However, she pushes it so much, that it is like she negates the multitude of scriptures that speak of meditating on God's Word.

5. Page 116: She gives a list of 4 things.
      -- God's words are omnipotent.
      -- Our words are potent no matter how we use them.
      -- God desires not only that His children believe truth but also that we speak it.
      -- God ordains that words of faith have more power than thoughts of faith.
      I have problems with some of these points. First, GOD is omnipotent. To say that His Words are omnipotent gives the impression that an unread bible holds unlimited power, and that just isn't the case.

Secondly, on the last point, what about people who are just quiet by nature? Is their faith less because they don't speak a lot? If I were quiet by nature (I am far from that), I would find her implication here highly offensive.

Next, she says, "So what if our reality doesn't reflect a powerful-voice theology?'' Seriously? What is that??? It sounds like she is pushing more name-it-claim it theology, and discounting the power that those who are quiet by nature may possess. It comes across like you need to be a loud-mouth to get God’s attention, and that just isn’t so.

6. Page 159: Speaking of God, she says, "... you were already on the great adventure of faith even when Jesus was wooing you, and if I may be so bold, flirting with you." Once again, she pushes the idea that Jesus our boyfriend, and that is not scriptural. He is my Savior. Period. I like a quote by Linda Kay Klein: "I have little patience for taking biblical metaphors too far, and giving one's relationship with God an air of chumminess." Well said!

7. Page 165: She suggests that God doesn't really forget our sins once we repent of them. Rather, He chooses not to remember them anymore. The Word tells us He remembers our sins no more. Period. (Jeremiah 31:34) She does go on to say she may be way off base in her thoughts. Well if she thinks she could be way off base, then why even bring it up?

8. Page 203: She speaks of using a "newly directed approach" in her research. I think this is a very apt description of what she has done, being that she is also into contemplative prayer, and highly praises some who follow Middle Eastern, New Age techniques and meditation. This is mentioned multiple times in her book When Godly People Do Ungodly Things.

9. Page 49: She makes a very interesting (and true) statement. "I have taught some foolish things in my day and don't doubt that I will accidentally teach some more." From my research on just this book, I can concur that she indeed has taught some very foolish things. I have done much research on her, not just from this book, from other books, and I can say without hesitation that Beth Moore is a false teacher.

While studying the Believing God books, I thought it was interesting that this showed up on Twitter on March 4:

Beth Moore: "Somewhere along the way, we have to reckon with the fact that we -- myself included -- went too far. We put limitations on women that exceeded what Christ demonstrated. We did it instead of wrestling with the tension between the gospels and the epistles. We're watching a backlash."

So Beth Moore declares that she believes there is a disunity between the gospels and the epistles?? God does not have a split personality. The Word of God is inspired. The Word of God is true.

This is just one more reason to stay away from anything written by Beth Moore.

Comment

Working...
      X