Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Deception in music

Friend of God

I have never liked the song “I Am A Friend of God.” I didn’t fully understand why until I started diligently getting into the Word. The beginning lyrics of the song come from Psalm 8:4 when the psalmist asks, “Who is man that You are mindful of him?” However, when you look at the rest of that Psalm, it has nothing to do with the lyrics that are in the song.

Psalm 8:4-8 (NKJV) For You have made him a little lower than the angels, And You have crowned him with glory and honor. You have made him to have dominion over the works of Your hands; You have put all things under his feet. All sheep and oxen— Even the beasts of the field, The birds of the air, And the fish of the sea t
    hat pass through the paths of the seas.

Now when I think back to when this song was being sung frequently at church, I remember people getting so excited over the chorus, which repeats the phrase over and over, “I am a friend of God.” I couldn’t understand the excitement that seemed to build up in people the longer that the chorus was repeated, to the point of near pandemonium. Honestly, I found it disturbing. It was as if people thought because they repeated this ‘mantra’ over and over, it became true. It reminded me of the false teaching from the Word of Faith movement where people thought they could “Name it and claim it.”

However, as I began to dig into the Word about being a friend of God, I found more insights into being a friend of God. John 15:14 tells us that we are the friend of God when we do what He commands us. John 14:21, 23 tells us that if we have God’s commands and keep them, we love Him. By doing so, the Father will love us, come to us, and make His home with us.

Abraham was called a friend of God. However, it required much from Abraham for this to be true. He had to leave his country and go to a land he didn’t know. Later, the Lord asked him to sacrifice his only son. Abraham also had several visitations from the Lord. He had invested time into getting to know the Lord. However, this often isn’t the case within the church. In reality, the majority of the church doesn’t even read their bible unless it is when following along with the pastor during his message. So where do we get off singing and getting all worked up over a song about being a friend of God when our lifestyle may tell a much different story?

I think a lot of the problem with this is that the church is biblically illiterate, so these ‘new age’ songs aren’t being lined up with scripture. The words work up an excitement in people, rather than a deep reverence for the Lord and His true, precious Word.

Brethren, we are told four times in Matthew 24 to not be deceived. In order to not be deceived, it is imperative for us to know our bibles and to know our God! We are told in 2 Timothy 3 that in the last days people will be lovers of pleasure rather than lovers of God. They will have a form of godliness, but deny its power. They will always be learning, yet never able to come to the knowledge of the truth. I see this happening now with these ‘worship’ songs that are being so easily accepted into many churches. People are learning the songs, but because they don’t know their bibles, they are accepting the lyrics as biblical truth, and many of them are not sound biblical doctrine. This is dangerous!

Just as you cannot become friends with someone without spending time with them, getting to know them, so it is with getting to know the Lord. Do you really want to be a friend of God? If so, you must spend time in the Word getting to know the God of the universe! There is no other way to be His friend.

© 2018, posted with permission by me, the author

Luke 21:36 "Watch ye therefore, and pray always, that ye may be accounted worthy to escape all these things that shall come to pass, and to stand before the Son of man."

We will either dwell in the secret place of the Most High or our flesh will make us want to hide things in secret. -- Nathan Leal

I don't know this song, but I know Christian music has changed. It's been over 10 years since I last bought a music CD - every time I listen at the local Christian bookstore, on Youtube/iTunes/Amazon to see if I can find something for my commute, I feel repelled by a lot of the "new" music. Sometimes the words seem scriptural but the heavy beat puts me off, and some have beautiful melodies but the words are not glorifying to God (a lot of it seems to be very self-centered and despairing). I mostly listen to instrumentals of Christian music from the 70's/early 80's - as some music I've heard sounds "right" but when I watch the video on Youtube, it seems demonic/scary. Can't even leave a playlist going on Youtube because one song may be alright but the next one is totally "off"! Maybe it's time to switch off all input and just wait to hear the voice of the Holy Spirit ...

Comment

Originally posted by Intruth View Post
      I don't know this song, but I know Christian music has changed. It's been over 10 years since I last bought a music CD - every time I listen at the local Christian bookstore, on Youtube/iTunes/Amazon to see if I can find something for my commute, I feel repelled by a lot of the "new" music. Sometimes the words seem scriptural but the heavy beat puts me off, and some have beautiful melodies but the words are not glorifying to God (a lot of it seems to be very self-centered and despairing). I mostly listen to instrumentals of Christian music from the 70's/early 80's - as some music I've heard sounds "right" but when I watch the video on Youtube, it seems demonic/scary. Can't even leave a playlist going on Youtube because one song may be alright but the next one is totally "off"! Maybe it's time to switch off all input and just wait to hear the voice of the Holy Spirit ...
      I didn't think about posting a link to the song. Oops! What you said though about much of the new music being focused on 'me' is so true. If you listen to the song, you will notice the word 'me' (as well as the word "I"), being used multiple times.

Luke 21:36 "Watch ye therefore, and pray always, that ye may be accounted worthy to escape all these things that shall come to pass, and to stand before the Son of man."

We will either dwell in the secret place of the Most High or our flesh will make us want to hide things in secret. -- Nathan Leal

Comment

Working...
      X