Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

What is "biblical" in Advanced Care Directive?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• What is "biblical" in Advanced Care Directive?

With the experience of caring for my parents and respecting their wishes till Jesus took them home, and watching the confusion of my cousin's father-in-law's children in not knowing what to do when their father was terminal, I've decided to create an Advanced Care Directive for myself. Not that I have any confidence that the healthcare system would respect any of my wishes as assisted dying and euthanasia is legal and encouraged/supported by most now.

So, I've thought about:
    - DNR when not breathing for more than 30 minutes
    - no to ventilator
    - no to in-tube breathing or feeding
    - no to organ donations (in case they need something, and kill me)
    - yes to surgery
    - yes to drips for hydration, feeding and antibiotics (but risk they'll pop in a load of unnecessary morphine)
    - yes to oxygen
    - yes to antibiotics
    - yes to painkillers
    - ??? to sedatives

But what if I'm in a coma - what would be right? Am I actually alive? Guess I would like to be painless and not suffering (being thrown around, yelled at, treated roughly, not cleaned, put into restraints if I have dementia) but don't want to die until it's God's timing. Reason is watching the nurses bruise my parents, and hurt them so much while turning them, then starving them, and chasing me out - and I have no family or friends to advocate for me. Not afraid of dying at all, but not looking forward to any of the inhumane treatment that one gets in a country with "free" healthcare.

Any advice for me, sisters and brothers in the Lord? My apologies for such a serious subject but I trust that I'll get Godly counsel here.

Wow. Serious subject, indeed. It's funny that even as Spirit-filled believers, we can see things so differently. I guess that is because we are all not ears or elbows -- we each have a different part to play in the body, so we must see things differently. I'm strong and healthy and in the teaching profession, not the medical profession, so I think this is where we truly differ.

- I AM for organ donations. What am I going to do with them in my box? Nothing. God can preserve me if He wants to keep me around. Nobody is going to kill me without His say-so.

- I'm also for ALL those other things. Healthcare to preserve life only works if the Life Giver is on board. If He wants me alive, He will keep me. If not, He will take me home. Let them do their best to save me, and if it is His will, it will succeed.

- I am NOT for pulling plugs, drips, cords, or oxygen -- EVER. God gets to choose when I die. Doctors can put it in to save me, but nobody gets to take it out to save money or bed space.

As for bad treatment, your descriptions of the treatment of medical "professionals" toward your parents is heartbreaking. I can't even imagine watching that with someone I love -- or anyone! I would pray for anyone treating me or my loved ones poorly. Those that hurt your parents -- children of God -- will PAY for what they have done. Vengeance belongs to God, and He has kept every tear.

If you are concerned, putting paperwork in place might be one solution, but praying to the Father that He would keep you from this situation might be a more sure way to go here. The enemy would like us to fear, but God says "Fear not." Recently, after Sister Renee posted a video that puts a scripture to song, Then I went a little crazy with the scripture memory songs . Here is one that comes to mind with this situation. I will include the song I used to memorize it. It only took me 2-3 hundred times to hear it before it stuck.

Psalm 121
    1 I will lift up mine eyes unto the hills, from whence cometh my help.
    2 My help cometh from the Lord, which made heaven and earth.
    3 He will not suffer thy foot to be moved: he that keepeth thee will not slumber.
    4 Behold, he that keepeth Israel shall neither slumber nor sleep.
    5 The Lord is thy keeper: the Lord is thy shade upon thy right hand.
    6 The sun shall not smite thee by day, nor the moon by night.
    7 The Lord shall preserve thee from all evil: he shall preserve thy soul.
    8 The Lord shall preserve thy going out and thy coming in from this time forth, and even for evermore.

Greek Girl
    Last edited by Greek Girl; 07-29-2018, 06:43 PM.

Comment

Thanks for the encouragement, Greek Girl. My parents and I were believing for a peaceful painless passing for them, but it didn't happen that way. The terrible suffering during their last few years (Dad blind for 4 years and disabled, Mom with a fractured back and eventually dementia) is the reason that I'm creating this directive. Of course my prayer is that God will protect me till the end but the abuse they experienced truly scares me (no compassion from the "professionals") and at least if it's written down, maybe there's a chance some of it will be followed. Are we prolonging life artificially with technology (ventilator, feeding tube) when God wants us to go naturally? I have some problem knowing where the dividing line is ... and choosing end-of-life treatments, and don't want to be trapped in a body full of pain and mental anguish and tossed around while not being able to express myself. Can my faith still operate and sustain me if ever in this state? I kept whispering to my parents "Jesus is with you, Jesus has not left you, Jesus will take you home" but couldn't even get a Christian chaplain into the hospital.

Comment

It sounds like that's the best thing for your peace of mind, then. Maybe someone else will weigh in about the questions you had.

Greek Girl

Comment

Intruth. back in when I had to go to the hospital and take a lot of meds. Some of the meds blocked my receptacles in my brain. I could not hear the Holy Spirit reminding me of verses that would calm me. I could not think straight. I fought demons and devils and seeking Jesus the whole time. It was the hardest thing I ever went through and I have went through a lot. Yet Jesus never left me even though I felt like He may have cause of something I might of done during that time. But He was there. He knew what I was going through and He brought me through to the other side. I know how it feels. But know that Jesus will never leave you or forsake you. He did not leave me or for sake me either. Be at peace, cause what every you go through Jesus will be with you and will help you through. I pray that this helps you.
          The Sweet Psalmist

https://watchmanscry.vbulletin.net/f...sweet-psalmist

Comment

I have been praying for you.
            The Sweet Psalmist

Comment

Any legal document is only as 'good' as the people handling it. Let me give you an example of what I am saying.

My sister was ill for much of the last eight years she lived on this earth. She was in and out of hospitals and was considered at death's door numerous times. She was not a believer but had memorized the 23rd Psalm and considered herself a Catholic over being a 'christian.' I fed her one of her last meals before she went into a coma from which she never recovered. Knowing she was not saved, when she went into the coma, and yet believing she could still hear me, over the months I went multiple times of the day. And would get out of bed in the middle of the night to go visit her. During those bedside visits, I would talk to her, pray out loud over her, read scripture and sing hymns out loud. One of her 'careprovider' daughters hated me and even instructed the medical staff that I was not to visit my sister. I went anyway over the months she was comatose.

At her bedside, I told my sister repetitively that Jesus loved her and He would help her. All she had to do was call out to HIM and HE would meet her right there in her hospital bed. Also, I reminded her that HE died on the cross for her and she could accept His gift of salvation by just crying out and receiving HIM.

My point in telling you all this is to relate the following facts:

Her detailed health care directive was never employed. Why? Because neither of her daughters took it to the hospital. In their thinking, neither one wanted to be 'responsible,' for "taking her life." And even if they had done so, in the end, my sister became 'brain deceased' due to a malfunction in her tubing, which I believe was due to the error of medical staff when cleaning her tubing.

Long story short. I received several assurances that my sister is in heaven after her dying. So, irrespective of all the plans and good intentions we humans may employ, in the long run, JESUS alone is able to keep HIS own and preserve them for HIS glory and HIS kingdom.

my two cents worth

Mark 13: 22 "For false Christs and false prophets shall rise, and shall shew signs and wonders, to seduce, if it were possible, even the elect."

Comment

Thank you all for the counsel and sharing what happened to you and your loved ones. I delayed in replying because I'm trying to understand and deal with my thoughts, fears and "arrangements" based on real life experience and also my view of God. I had a session with a Christian spiritual director who identified that I had lost trust in God because of my parents' suffering, but she emphasized that He is still loving and forgiving. She reassured me that when Mom and Dad were saved and changed their lifestyle, that even in dementia when they forgot the Scriptures, that God knew all about the deterioration in their brains and didn't forget them. But I may never understand why He let the cruel hospital folks treat them so. That I can plan physically but a document won't give anyone compassion to the vulnerable, so ultimately I must trust that He will get me through to eternal life, and it may include terrible suffering. She shared that many many faithful believers serving God also went through terrible pain in their latter years and that at the right time, Jesus may let me know when He is taking me home and I should decide then, instead of defining a long list of instructions for something which may never happen.

Nonetheless, I will create a checklist (like buying car insurance) with the Holy Spirit's guidance and leave a copy on the fridge and give a copy to my doctor who is a Christian (none of my friends and family are "pro-life" and they would pull the plug without a conscience)! What I heard was the same as what Nathan is preaching - that I should be ready at any time, be clean in spirit and close to Jesus on a DAILY basis and learn to trust again because there is no one else to trust - that one may be surrounded by lots of people when dying, but ultimately it's between me and God.

Comment

Originally posted by Intruth View Post
                  Thank you all for the counsel and sharing what happened to you and your loved ones. I delayed in replying because I'm trying to understand and deal with my thoughts, fears and "arrangements" based on real life experience and also my view of God. I had a session with a Christian spiritual director who identified that I had lost trust in God because of my parents' suffering, but she emphasized that He is still loving and forgiving. She reassured me that when Mom and Dad were saved and changed their lifestyle, that even in dementia when they forgot the Scriptures, that God knew all about the deterioration in their brains and didn't forget them. But I may never understand why He let the cruel hospital folks treat them so. That I can plan physically but a document won't give anyone compassion to the vulnerable, so ultimately I must trust that He will get me through to eternal life, and it may include terrible suffering. She shared that many many faithful believers serving God also went through terrible pain in their latter years and that at the right time, Jesus may let me know when He is taking me home and I should decide then, instead of defining a long list of instructions for something which may never happen.

Nonetheless, I will create a checklist (like buying car insurance) with the Holy Spirit's guidance and leave a copy on the fridge and give a copy to my doctor who is a Christian (none of my friends and family are "pro-life" and they would pull the plug without a conscience)! What I heard was the same as what Nathan is preaching - that I should be ready at any time, be clean in spirit and close to Jesus on a DAILY basis and learn to trust again because there is no one else to trust - that one may be surrounded by lots of people when dying, but ultimately it's between me and God.

When people have disappointed us, rejected and even abandoned us, always remember, HE will never leave His own.

Sounds like you are making steps in the right direction and have a good plan sister InTruth. Love ya' bunches
                  Mark 13: 22 "For false Christs and false prophets shall rise, and shall shew signs and wonders, to seduce, if it were possible, even the elect."

Comment

Praise the Lord! May you continue pressing into the Lord Jesus, and gain the trust in HIm. He is with us and will never leave us or forsake us. Just know that comforts me. Hugs. Love you sis.
                    The Sweet Psalmist

Comment

Working...
                    X